Finding the Perfect Sunnies {Tips + My Obsession}

Confession: I have a bit of an obsession with sunglasses.


Ok, that last photo was just for fun, but sunglasses are an everyday staple for me. You can see a peek into my sunglasses collection and how I organize them here. I love to experiment with different shapes and styles and just have fun with them. 

So what should consider when you're picking out a pair? Here's my tips for shopping for your new favorite sunnies and a round-up of my favorite picks for this summer.

Shape: Aviators, oversized, cat eye, wayfarers, circle frames...so many to choose from! There are loads of articles out there that try to tell you "how to pick frames for your face." While there is some merit behind that advice, I think the best way to decide what you like is to try on lots of pairs. Rules are meant to be broken after all--at least when it comes to fashion. It's important for you to pick sunnies that are comfortable and for you to like the way they look (you're the one who has to wear them after all!).

Metal vs. Plastic Frames: This is often a make it or break it decision for me and there are pros and cons to each. Metal frames are more adjustable and have a looser fit, but at the same time can get warm in the sun and may also bend easily. Plastic frames will hold their shape, but sometimes can fit tight around the temples and are difficult to adjust, especially if your ears aren't quite even like mine.

Frame Color: If you're buying metal frames, you'll be able to choose among gold, silver, gunmetal, and sometimes colors (check out these pink aviators I gave away a few weeks ago). With plastic frames, you can find just about every color under the sun and even patterns. One of my favorite pairs has a floral print. If you're just buying one pair, I would suggest finding something that is neutral to your style that you can wear with the majority of your outfits.

Color of Lenses: Another consideration is the color of the lenses. The color of the lenses will affect two things. First, is the tint when you look through them. Some just make colors a little darker others may make things appear rose-colored or sepia-toned. This is another reason I recommend trying sunglasses in-person on before purchasing. Second, is the outside color of the lenses that everyone else will see. These might just be a color of the lens or they could be mirrored. This is a personal preference (I tend to stay away from mirror lenses).

Embellishments: Want rhinestone-studded wayfarers? Go for it! A little detail on the sides of the frames like filigree or a pearl cabochon can add a bit of elegance. There are no rules, just have fun and wear what makes you happy.




8 Fantastic Frames

Shop these looks by clicking the corresponding pair below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More