Mancave Decor DIY {Home Is Where the Controller Is}


My husband converted our basement into a bar/mancave and I'm always on the lookout for fun decorations he can use to add to it. While I was wasting time on StumbleUpon recently I came across this Home Is Where the Controller Is pattern and knew that I had to make him a cross stitch of it.

In case your interested in making one of your own, here's how I did it using this pattern.

Supplies:
  • Needlepoint Canvas (an 8x10 will be big enough)
  • Embroidery Needle
  • Embroidery Floss (1 Skein each of: Black, Light Grey, Dark Grey, Lime Green, Green, Yellow, Blue, and Red)
  • Medium Embroidery Hoop
I think all of the supplies for this project cost me about $7.00 from the craft store.

How to make it:
  • Start by finding the center of your canvas. If it was folded like mine it should be pretty easy. About 2/3 of the way down the canvas, begin with the top center of the controller. I worked mine  in a circle going clockwise.
  • Secure the area you'll working on in the embroidery hoop. You want your canvas to be taut where you're working, it will make it easier to count and follow the pattern.
  • Each block on the pattern should correspond to one cross stitch. 
  • Stitch the outline of the controller and the text in black, then use the corresponding colors to finish the controller.
  • I used two strands of embroidery floss for the outline and the text and I used four strands of floss to create the controller details (this makes them look a bit more raised-up in person).
Now all that's left is to frame it and find it a home downstairs. I think I'll try the NES Controller next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More