Housewarming Gift Idea {Welcome Home Jar}

Two of my good friends just closed on a new house and I was racking my brain for a unique housewarming gift. It was as if the blogging world knew what was on my mom because this Housewarming Jar DIY post from the blog Oh Happy Day popped up in my BlogLovin' feed. I was inspired by hers and decided to change a few things and make my own. I'm sorry I didn't take step-by-step photos, please ask away if you have any questions!


I started with a one gallon Anchor Hocking glass jar. You can find these at Target, Walmart, and on Amazon. After cleaning and drying the surface of the jar, I placed the labels of the words "Welcome" and "Home" on the jar. I liked the graphic look of the different font sizes. I then used a sponge brush and Armour Etch to permanently etch the words onto the jar. I followed the instructions on the Armour Etch packaging to leave the cream on for 60 seconds. This resulted in a very light etching which worked great for this jar (see picture below). If you wanted something that stands out more, I would look into tutorials on different methods or possibly other products. You could also paint the words onto the jar like they did in the inspiration post.


Once you've decorated your jar to your liking using etching cream or paint, then you get to have fun filling it with goodies! For this jar I included: Goo Gone, Super Glue, a picture hanging kit, felt protector pads for furniture, a multipurpose scraper, garden gloves, a flower pruner, and kitchen towels with colorful prints.

I really loved how this project turned out. The best part is that after they've used the items in the jar, the recipient is left with a wonderful cookie jar. I will definitely be making these again in the future!

Do you have other housewarming gift ideas or has someone given you something unique? Comment below and tell me about it!

If you can't wait for some more DIY inpsiration check out the Creative Inspirations Link Party and the Show Me What Ya Got Link Party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More